Children love to dress up and role play! I have always including baking and cooking in my program as a regular weekly or monthly activity. As such, each child makes and decorates a hat to wear each time. Their excitement builds as they go to the shelf to get their hats; they know it’s time to bake!
Here’s a step-by-step on how to make them:
- Start with a piece of white bristol board. Fold it into bands, I can get eight strips out of one piece (see picture).
- Cut out the headbands for younger children and provide materials for them to decorate their hat. Have the kids put their names on so they can recognize their own later.
- Glue a piece of white tissue to the headband.
- Measure each child and staple the band together.
- Bunch the tissue paper up at the top, and presto.. a hat! Keep it pretty tall — the kids love the exaggerated hat.
The kids can use their hats for all the baking activities you do.