Kids love this simple, safe activity. For you, it’s also straightforward, uses ingredients you already have on hand, and leaves very little mess to clean up!
- Mix together two cups of salt, one cup of flour, and one cup of water until it becomes a soft dough. Involve the children as much as possible in the measuring, pouring, and mixing. Everyone should take a turn at each step.
- Give each child an equal portion of the dough.
- Ask the kids what their snowman should look like. Get them to divide up their dough and roll it into different sized balls.
- Teach them how to stack the balls into the form of a snowman.
- Provide various props — toothpicks, pipe-cleaners, beads, felt, straw — on the table, and ask them to decorate their snowmen. The kids will surprise you with what they can dream up and put together.
- Allow two days for the snowmen to fully dry, then they are ready for the children to take home!